I’m not a huge fan of chocolate. Yes, I realize this is shocking to many. I preface with this comment so you won’t be surprised when I confess that I haven’t re-made this dish after the Raw Desserts Workshop. And it will probably be a few more months before I decide to try this again. Don’t get me wrong, it very tasty and a healthy enough treat that you could eat it for breakfast! It’s just too chocolatey for my tastes.
You can make a batch of this chocolatey dessert in about 10-15 minutes!
Chocolate Power Balls
Recipe by RAW food chef Renee Shaidle
- 1/2 cup almonds – approximate cost $1.25
- 1/2 cup walnuts – approximate cost $0.75
- 1/2 cup shredded coconut – approximate cost $0.75
- 1/4 cup cacao – approximate cost $1.00
- 1/2 tsp salt – approximate cost $0.05
- 1/2 avocado – approximate cost $1.00
- 8-10 dates – approximate cost $2.75
- In a food processor, blend walnuts and almonds for about 30 seconds.
- With the food processor still running, add coconut, cacao, salt, and avocado.
- When the ingredients are well mixed, add the dates to create a sticky consistency. Continue to process until all ingredients are mixed well.
- Divide the mixture into 1 tsp portions.
- Roll each portion into a ball.
Makes about 15 servings (approximate cost: $0.50 per serving).
If you want, roll the power balls in nut pieces for a variation on this recipe. At the workshop, I coated mine in raw cashew pieces.