I’ve been following Kristen’s blog Frugal Antics of a Harried Homemaker for a while now. She runs a monthly blogging Improv Challenge. Kristen describes the challenge as “a monthly party where everyone takes the same two assigned ingredients and lets their imaginations run wild. It doesn’t matter what other ingredients we use, whether we make something savory or sweet.” Sounds fun to me! I don’t normally post on Thursdays, but I’ll definitely make an exception for this!
This months Improv Challenge ingredients are: strawberries and cream! Because this is my first time participating, I decided to keep the recipe simple (and, with the theme of my blog, budget friendly). Strawberries are one of my favourite fruits and I will usually wash them and eat they without any other preparation, so I didn’t want to stray too far from what I already enjoy.
Strawberries will be in season here in Ontario in a few weeks!!! I can’t wait to get local strawberries from the farmer’s market. Or even better, find a farm where I can pick my own! For this recipe, I’ve used imported strawberries (I forgot to look where they are from, probably California or Mexico). They were a bit tart, so I marinated the strawberries in maple syrup to give them a sweetness similar to those fresh from the strawberry patch.
The whipped cream I prepared for the photos didn’t turn out very well.😦 It was very tasty. It just didn’t whip up and become as fluffy as the whipped cream I had prepared dad’s house the day before this (it was perfect). I didn’t have my camera with me then, and it was so yummy there weren’t any leftovers. I wish the new batch looked a bit prettier.
What are your tips/tricks for making perfect whipped cream every time? What is your favourite way to enjoy strawberries?
Strawberries Marinated in Maple Syrup with Whipped Cream
- 1 quart fresh strawberries – approximate cost $3.00
- 4 tablespoons pure maple syrup – approximate cost $0.50
- 200 millilitres whipping cream – approximate cost $2.00
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla – approximate cost $0.25
- At least 2 hours before you’re preparing dessert, place a glass mixing bowl and metal beaters in the freezer to chill.
- At least 1 hour before you’re preparing dessert, prepare the strawberries.
- Wash the strawberries.
- Core the strawberries and slice them into bite-sized pieces.
- Place the strawberries in a large mixing bowl and drizzle with maple syrup.
- Toss the berries to coat them with syrup.
- Let the berries stand at room temperature to marinate/sweeten.
- Prepare the whipped cream.
- Remove the mixing bowl and beaters from the freezer
- Combine the whipping cream and vanilla in the chilled mixing bowl.
- Whip the cream until it becomes fluffy (don’t over mix or it will churn into butter).
- Prepare the dessert!
Makes 4 servings (approximate cost: $1.44 per serving).