I’m so excited to be participating in another Improv Challenge hosted by Kristen from Frugal Antics of a Harried Homemaker!
I actually had thought I missed the Improv Challenge . Somehow I had convinced myself that the posts needed to be up on June 15th. A big thank you to Liz from That Skinny Chick Can Bake who pointed out that I had misread the date and still had a week to write the post!
This month’s ingredients are cherries and almonds. I don’t recall ever pairing these ingredients. However, I’ve been assured over the last month that I would love it. And I do!
My cherry and almond recipe is inspired by the heat wave going on right now. It was 32 degrees Celsius today (89.6 degrees Fahrenheit). I didn’t want to turn the oven on to bake (we don’t have A/C). So I made an icy drink instead. I enjoy it very much! Bryan’s not a fan of the texture of the ground almonds. I’ll make this with an almond extract next time.
Icy Drink with Cherries and Almonds
- 1/3 cup raw almonds – approximate cost $1.00
- 1/2 cup frozen cherries – approximate cost $1.00
- 2 sprigs of mint leaves – approximate cost $0.06
- 1 cup water
- 10 ice cubes
- Soak almonds in a glass of water for at least 2 hours.
- Drain almonds.
- Blend almond in blender until finely ground.
- Add cherries and continue to blend.
- Add water and ice cubes.
- Blend until smooth (you may need to add a bit more water).
- Serve in two tall glasses and garnish with sprigs of mint leaves.
Makes 2 servings (approximate cost: $1.03 per serving).