One of my blogging goals I set for myself is to post three times per week (Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays), except on those really busy weeks when I can’t meet those goals. To help me continue motivating myself and working towards my blogging goals, I’ve decided to start participating in Mangia Mondays – a weekly blog hop/link party hosted by Delightfully Dowling & Shine Your Light. I’m excited to be participating!
June is a busy month for occasions in my family with both mom and dad’s birthdays and father’s day (not to mention it can be a bit expensive). Yes, yes, I know July is mostly over, but I want to share the chicken burgers that we made for mom’s birthday a few weeks back and I’m just now getting around to sharing the recipe.
This year, my brother and I set out to celebrate on a budget. For each occasion, we made a home-cooked meal (instead of eating out) and took care of the clean-up. This way, we treated out parents to a delicious, healthy meal and they didn’t have to do any work. We’re pretty sure they appreciated it as well as enjoyed the visit.
I didn’t get any photos from dad’s dinner, there were no leftovers for me to bring home and share with you, so I will only be posting about mom’s dinner.
When I shared the recipe for Chicken Roasted with Rosemary and Smoked Paprika, I mentioned that I might have been adding smoked paprika to just about everything I’m cooking. When coming up with the seasoning for these burgers, I insisted on using smoked paprika and consulted with my brother about what else we might use, what toppings we should buy, and what condiments would go best with the burger.
I topped my burger with mayo, lettuce, and a slice of tomato. The one in the photo is one of two that were leftover at the end of the meal, and it was surprisingly delicious the next day (I was worried it would be dry).
What do you cook for your parents on their birthday?
Chicken Burgers with Smoked Paprika and Rosemary
Recipe co-created by me and my brother
- 2 pounds ground chicken – approximate cost $10.00
- 1 egg – approximate cost $0.35
- 2 tablespoons smoked paprika – approximate cost $0.50
- 2 teaspoons dried rosemary – approximate cost $0.25
- 1 teaspoon sea salt – approximate cost $0.05
- 1 teaspoon black pepper – approximate cost $0.10
- 8 hamburger buns – approximate cost $2.00
- Combine the ground chicken, egg, smoked paprika, rosemary, sea salt, and black pepper in a large mixing bowl.
- Mix thoroughly using your hands (but be careful not to over-work the meat, that will make it tough).
- Divide the chicken mixture into 8 portions.
- Shape each portion into a burger patty.
- Cook the chicken burger patties any way you like!
- Barbecue the burgers until cooked through and slightly toast the buns.
- Fry the burgers over medium-high heat.
- Grill the burgers on a counter-top grill.
- Broil the burgers in the oven, turning once to cook both sides.
- Serve on hamburger buns with your favourite toppings!
Serve with slices of your favourite vegetables and condiments.
- Avocado mayo
- Barbecue sauce
Makes 8 servings (approximate cost: $1.66 per serving + toppings and condiments).