This week I’m participating in the Crazy Cooking Challenge hosted by Mom’s Crazy Cooking! This is my first time participating in the challenge and the challenge item happens to be one of my all-time favourite desserts: Cheesecake!
Yes, I have a slight lactose-sensitivity and tend to stay away from ingredients such as cream, milk, cream cheese, sour cream… but I just can’t pass up the opportunity to have a slice of cheesecake. I’ve tried and enjoy vegan cheesecakes, such as the Raw Vegan Summertime Strawberry Cheezecake. However, Bryan isn’t a huge fan of these nut-based desserts… and sometimes I just enjoy a more traditional cheesecake. So I decided to make a dessert we’d both enjoy.
The cheesecake I made is an adaptation of a family recipe. My cousin’s recipe actually. She makes it when the family gets together on holidays. She’s made it with all sorts of fruit toppings, but cherry is by far my favourite, so I decided to experiment with that. I added a few sour cherries and some almond and vanilla extracts. I also reduced the amount of dessert whip for a more dense cake.
What’s your favourite cheesecake flavour?
No Bake Cherry Cheesecake
Adapted from my cousin’s recipe
- 2 and 1/2 cups honey wafer crumbs – approximate cost $2.75
- 1/2 cup salted butter, melted – approximate cost $1.00
- 1 container of dessert whip, thawed – approximate cost $2.50
- 2 packages of plain cream cheese, softened – approximate cost $5.00
- 1 teaspoon almond extract – approximate cost $0.30
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract – approximate cost $0.30
- 1 can of cherry pie filling – approximate cost $1.25
- 1 jar sour cherries, pitted – approximate cost $2.50
- Prepare the bottom layer.
- Combine 2 and 1/2 cups honey wafer crumbs and 1/2 cup melted butter.
- Mix well.
- Press the crumb mixture into a 9×13 baking dish.
- Prepare the middle layer
- Use a beater to whip 2 packages of softened plain cream cheese until smooth.
- Add the dessert whip.
- Mix until well combined.
- Pour over crumb mixture.
- Spread cream cheese filling into an even layer.
- Refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- Prepare the top layer.
- In a bowl, combine the cherry pie filling and sour cherries.
- Pour over cream cheese filling.
- Serve immediately or chill until ready to serve.
Makes 12 servings (approximate cost: $1.30 per serving).
Tuesday Link Parties
- Crazy Cooking Challenge (hosted by Mom’s Crazy Cooking)
- Crazy Sweet Tuesday (hosted by Crazy for Crust)
- Trick or Treat Tuesday (hosted by BruCrew Life)
- Totally Tasty Tuesdays (hosted by Mandy’s Recipe Box)
Powered by Linky Tools
Click here to enter your link and view this Linky Tools list…