Sunday, Dad decided to come home from the lake early, so I decided to go home for a family dinner (despite that there were already plans for all of us to get together the next day for Nana’s birthday). Because the plans were a bit last minute, dinner consisted of leftover shepherd’s pie that I had made earlier in the week, a few roasted vegetables, and pumpkin pie that dad picked up on his way home.
As usual, I made too much food. I find it hard to plan dinner for six. However, leftovers are always welcome, they get packed into lunches for the next day. And we usually sneak a treat or two to the dogs (they got a taste of Shepherd’s pie – Rascal loved it, Rebel picked out the carrots).
Roasted Zucchini, Mushrooms, and Peppers with Thyme
- 1 large spanish onion, diced – approximate cost $1.25
- 2 cloves garlic, minced – approximate cost $0.20
- 800 grams button mushrooms, sliced – approximate cost $3.50
- 2 zucchinis, sliced – approximate cost $2.00
- 1 green pepper, sliced – approximate cost $1.00
- 1 red peppers, sliced – approximate cost $1.25
- 1 orange pepper, sliced – approximate cost $1.25
- 1 yellow pepper, sliced – approximate cost $1.25
- 2 teaspoons olive oil – approximate cost $0.20
- 1 teaspoon sea salt – approximate cost $0.10
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme – approximate cost $0.15
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Heat the olive oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat.
- Add the onion pieces and cook until softened.
- Add garlic and continue to cook until garlic is fragrant.
- Remove from heat and transfer to a large baking pan.
- Combine onion mixture, mushrooms, zucchini slices, 1/2 teaspoon of sea salt and 1/2 teaspoon of dried thyme in the baking pan.
- Mix well.
- Bake vegetables for 7 minutes (or until they begin to soften).
- Remove from oven and add the peppers and the remaining 1/2 teaspoon sea salt and 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme.
- Mix well.
- Turn the oven temperature to broil.
- Return the vegetables to the oven.
- Cook for another 5-7 minutes (or until the vegetables begin to brown).
- Remove from oven.
- Serve and enjoy!
Makes 8 servings (approximate cost: $1.52 per serving).
Wednesday Link Parties
- What’s Cooking Wednesday(hosted by The King’s Court IV, Turning The Clock Back, and Confessions of an Overworked Mom)
- Whole Foods Wednesday (hosted by Katie from This Chick Cooks)
- Cast Party Wednesday (hosted by Lady Behind the Curtain)
- Fresh Foods Wednesday (hosted by Kristy from Gastronomical Sovereignty)
- Allergy Free Wednesdays (hosted by Gluten Free Pantry, Real Food Allergy Free, The Tasty Alternative, Tessa The Domestic Diva, The Willing Cook, Gluten Freely Frugal, and Whole New Mom
- Whatcha’ Whipped Up Wednesday (hosted by DJ’s Sugar Shack)
- Wednesday Whatsits (hosted by White Lights on Wednesday)