First of all, a great big thank you to Cindy from Skip to My Lou who featured my Spaghetti with Shrimp and Roasted Vegetables recipe!
I’m trying to get the school year off to a good start. I’ve updated my calendar with all of the important deadlines. And now I’m working on good eating and exercise habits. I hope to attend at least three yoga classes each week and, until it snows, I will continue to bike to as many places as possible. As for good eating habits, I’m trying to have a hearty breakfast to start each day and making large meals for dinner that can be enjoyed as leftovers for lunch the next day.
I’m not a huge fan of cereals. Most of them are too sweet for my liking and I find the texture of almond milk a bit strange when mixed with cereal. Instead, I rely on breakfast items that I can make a big batch of and reheat the leftovers next day. Such as:
- Dairy-Free Breakfast Crêpes with Banana Slices and Blueberries
- Breakfast Quesadillas with Peanut Butter and Bananas
- Egg Bake with Potatoes and Mushrooms
- Raw Apple Cobbler
We ate quite a few of the breakfast quesadillas this week. I even let Bryan in the kitchen to make them for breakfast one day. However, I also tried out rice pudding made with almond milk (I usually make this with cow’s milk, but was out and wanted to try a diary free option). While my family frequently serves rice pudding as a dessert, I enjoy it very much as a breakfast food!
Dairy Free Rice Pudding
- 1 cup Jasmine rice – approximate cost $0.50
- 2 cups almond milk – approximate cost $1.50
- 1/4 cup cane sugar – approximate cost $0.50
- 1/2 cup raisins – approximate cost $0.75
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon – approximate cost $0.15
- 1 egg – approximate cost $0.30
- 1 cup water
- Mint leaves for garnish (optional)
- Add 1 cup almond milk and 1 cup water to a large pot and bring to a boil.
- Add Jasmine rice.
- Reduce heat to a simmer.
- Cook until rice is tender (about 15-20 minutes).
- Whisk remaining 1 cup of almond milk and egg in a bowl.
- Add can sugar, almond milk mixture, cinnamon, and raisins to the rice.
- Stir well.
- Allow to cool and serve either warm or cold!
Makes about 6 servings (approximate cost: $0.62 per serving).
Monday Link Parties
- Must Try Mondays (hosted by My Favourite Finds)
- Marvelous Mondays (hosted by Julie from This Gal Cooks, Ang from Juggling Act, Pamela from It’s Me Again…Pamela, and Deb from Cooking on the Front Burner)
- Manic Monday (hosted by Melissa from Serendipity and Spice)
- Mop It Up Mondays (hosted by Kristi from I Should Be Mopping the Floor)
- Mouthwatering Monday (hosted by Rachel from A Southern Fairytale)
- Hunk of Meat Monday (hosted by Beyer Beware)
- Makin’ You Crave Monday (hosted by Mrs. Happy Homemaker)
- Made by you Monday (hosted by Skip to my Lou)
- Melt in Your Mouth Monday (hosted by Make Ahead Meals for Busy Moms)
- On the Menu Monday (hosted by Stone Gable)