Back during the summer, my best friend and I had an evening together. Most of the time, we get together as couples. I don’t remember why it was just the two of us, but it’s what made the evening memorable. We ate homemade hummus (Bryan’s least favourite snack), chatted, and made an impulse decision to go to Dairy Queen at about 10:30pm. I was really impressed with her homemade hummus and ate way too much of it. I was even more surprised when she told me that it was very easy to make. (Put all of the ingredients in a blender, combine, and enjoy!)
The next day, I got a call saying that the hummus tasted even better the next day. The flavours had a chance to meld.
This recipe is my attempt to re-create T’s hummus. I made it based off my memory if the ingredients she told me to use. Adding a bit of this and that until it tasted right. I even took some of the finished product to work and allowed my co-workers to taste test. I’m thrilled to report they thought it was pretty good!
I like to serve hummus with vegetables (carrots, radishes, celery, etc.), but it’s also great with pita chips.
- 1 x 540 mL can of chickpeas, ¾ of the liquid drained – approximate cost $1.25
- 5 tablespoons tahini – approximate cost $0.75
- 3 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice – approximate cost $0.50
- 4 cloves of garlic – approximate cost $0.40
- 1 teaspoon sea salt – approximate cost $0.10
- Combine all of the ingredients in a blender or food processor.
- Process until chickpeas are smooth in texture.
- Pour into a serving bowl.
- Refrigerate for at least 2 hours so the flavours meld together.
- Serve with a side of fresh vegetables such a mini carrots, radishes, celery slices, green pepper slices, etc, and/or pita chips.
Makes 2 lunch-sized servings (approximate cost: $1.50 per serving) or 6 servings (approximate cost: $0.50 per serving) as a snack.
Wednesday Link Parties
- Whole Foods Wednesday (hosted by Katie from This Chick Cooks)
- Cast Party Wednesday (hosted by Lady Behind the Curtain)
- Fresh Foods Wednesday (hosted by Kristy from Gastronomical Sovereignty)
- Allergy Free Wednesdays (hosted by Gluten Free Pantry, Real Food Allergy Free, The Tasty Alternative, Tessa The Domestic Diva, The Willing Cook, Gluten Freely Frugal, and Whole New Mom
- Whatcha’ Whipped Up Wednesday (hosted by DJ’s Sugar Shack)
- Wednesday Whatsits (hosted by White Lights on Wednesday)