While Bryan was home for a between school terms vacation, I found I needed to be a bit more creative with my leftovers. I’m used to there being two of us at each meal. Two people taking leftovers as lunches. Usually, leftovers don’t last more than a day or two. With him away, I found myself getting bored of the leftovers and wanting to make something new.
Instead, I reused the leftovers, presenting them as an entirely new dish. It made cooking for one a little less boring. Meal-time more interesting. And, of course, gave me something to talk about on this blog. (I was a bit worried that, with Bryan on vacation, I would run out of blog material.) I’m happy to say that, even with him away, I kept up (mostly) healthy eating habits and ate a home-cooked meal most evenings.
Spaghetti with Shrimp and Roasted Vegetables
- Handful of whole wheat spaghetti noodles – approximate cost $0.75
- 12 shrimp – approximate cost $3.00
- 1/4 large spanish onion, diced – approximate cost $0.30
- 1 cloves garlic, minced – approximate cost $0.10
- 50 grams button mushrooms, sliced – approximate cost $0.40
- 1/2 zucchinis, sliced – approximate cost $0.50
- 1/4 green pepper, sliced – approximate cost $0.25
- 1/4 red peppers, sliced – approximate cost $0.25
- 1/4 orange pepper, sliced – approximate cost $0.25
- 1/4 yellow pepper, sliced – approximate cost $0.25
- 14 grape tomatoes – approximate cost $1.00
- 1 teaspoons olive oil – approximate cost $0.10
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt – approximate cost $0.05
- 1 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning – approximate cost $0.20
- Roast the vegetables.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Heat the olive oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat.
- Add the onion pieces and cook until softened.
- Add garlic and continue to cook until garlic is fragrant.
- Remove from heat and transfer to a large baking pan.
- Combine onion mixture, mushrooms, zucchini slices, sea salt and 1/2 teaspoon of dried thyme in the baking pan.
- Mix well.
- Bake vegetables for 7 minutes (or until they begin to soften).
- Remove from oven and add the peppers and grape tomatoes.
- Mix well.
- Turn the oven temperature to broil.
- Return the vegetables to the oven.
- Cook for another 5-7 minutes (or until the vegetables begin to brown).
- Remove from oven.
- Cook the pasta according to the directions on the package (while the vegetables are roasting).
- Cook the shrimp.
- Place shrimp in a baking dish.
- Bake until shrimp (shell) turns pink.
- Remove from oven and turn the shrimp.
- Return to oven.
- Bake until shrimp is cooked through.
- Assemble the pasta!
- Divide the pasta noodles between two serving bowls.
- Divide the roasted vegetables between the two serving bowls.
- Top each serving with shrimp
- Serve and enjoy!
Makes 2 servings (approximate cost: $3.70 per serving).
Monday Link Parties
- Must Try Mondays (hosted by My Favourite Finds)
- Marvelous Mondays (hosted by Julie from This Gal Cooks, Ang from Juggling Act, Pamela from It’s Me Again…Pamela, and Deb from Cooking on the Front Burner)
- Manic Monday (hosted by Melissa from Serendipity and Spice)
- Mop It Up Mondays (hosted by Kristi from I Should Be Mopping the Floor)
- Mouthwatering Monday (hosted by Rachel from A Southern Fairytale)
- Hunk of Meat Monday (hosted by Beyer Beware)
- Makin’ You Crave Monday (hosted by Mrs. Happy Homemaker)
- Made by you Monday (hosted by Skip to my Lou)
- Melt in Your Mouth Monday (hosted by Make Ahead Meals for Busy Moms)
- On the Menu Monday (hosted by Stone Gable)